Monday 22 October 2012

Research Object 3- Chuck close



Chuck Close is definitely one of my favourite artists who has inspired me and my work massively, I really started to love portraiture a lot more when i discovered his amazing work. Close focuses mainly on portraits and recreating them using paint. He famously did self-portraits over a period of time using the same techniques as he did for the others. He composes them beautifully with soft strokes and intense detail. 

What I love the most about his work's from images and recreates them in such a fashion. Similarly to Close, I took a lot of my images and recreated them in the same manner. More than anything I enjoyed furthering my photography by using my skills as a painter, where I use acrylic quite a lot and like Close I worked on a large scale for a lot of my pieces. I really enjoyed working on large canvas, but I also experimented working on paper, wood and board.

Close is such an amazing influence and a wonderful artist and if not for him I doubt a lot of my work would have been created. He is an inspiration and such a talented man. Below are a few pieces of my work, not directly inspired by Close's work as such, but they have a strong link through the focus on portraiture.



This image is from a series of portraiture images in which I used torch light to highlight the facial features and expressions, 'Light, Image 1- Boy' 

'Light, Image 2- Girl' 
Both achieved with long exposure and shutter speed, size A4


 These two piece's of art are from my portraiture project, 'Inside Out', image 1 & 2
image one on left achieved using acrylic on card, size A0.
Image on right is oil on canvas, size A0.

No comments:

Post a Comment