Monday 8 October 2012

Myself as an artist


My name is Natasha Constantinou, I am 20 years old and live in the outskirts of London. I have studied Fine Art for 5 years and photography for 2 and I am now currently studying Photography with Fine Art at university.

My style and what I do varies from portraiture to Landscape all the way to Documentary photography. My main focal point would be portraiture and Documentary photography in which I have been focusing on throughout my education but I have recently started a few series of images on landscapes. In the past I have done projects based around the war, politics and portraiture as a theme but all for the sake of my education and A-levels. Only recently have I started to focus on producing series of photographs as a photographer.

Just to briefly touch on my images within Landscape photography, only in the past two years have I really started to enjoy and focus on what I have to offer as a landscape photographer. I have produced a few series using a variety of techniques but my favorite series is called “The calm” in which I will post a couple images from on to this Blog.  As I have only just started to become familiar with landscape I haven’t got a lot of detail to go into.

My main focus in photography is portraiture and documentary. What I love about portraiture has to be the emotions and feelings you can send out the audience/public through the human form. By picking the right person/subject, setting, mood and expression, you can create such a controversial and unbelievable effect on the audience. This is the same with documentary photography, there are so many subjects to focus on in this modern and urban world that the possibilities are endless, through one image or a series of images you can have people whom you have never met before, start feeling emotions, whether it be hate or love. Controversial is something I aim for my images to be, I want there to be room for the audience to use their imagination, their interpretation to think up whatever they believe the image may want to say.

As an artist I use my images a lot in my fine art work, I recreate a lot of my portraiture by painting and sketching the image. What I am aiming to do at the moment is create a series of photo’s in which portray how people may hide their true identity/state, with false emotion, then recreate them in a way that can reflect their personality’s and backgrounds through art.

As you may be able to tell, I have many ideas in process at once; I start projects when I first think them up as I believe that’s when I have created some of my best images. Some projects fall together and are complete in a matter of days or weeks others take a lot longer, but everything has its own time process. For example I have 5 series of photographs in process at this moment for portraiture and documentary, some in which only have 1 image in the series so far, others more. On occasions I take one or two images of something that in that moment really catches my eye, I then wait for a series to form around that one image. 

So that’s me as an artist in a very short basic form! Hope you have enjoyed reading about what I do and Thank you for taking interest.


A set of images from my landscape series called "The Calm", Date 2012



 A set of images from my portraiture series, "Hitting Home", Date 2011(in process)

 An image from my series based on fictional fears called "The Slenderman", Date 2012 (in process)

No comments:

Post a Comment